"A few minutes ago every tree was excited, bowing to the roaring storm, waving, swirling, tossing their branches in glorious enthusiasm like worship. But though to the outer ear these trees are now silent, their songs never cease." ~ ~ ~ John Muir

Monday, January 24, 2011

A Sunday at the Monument

At last the smog that has been settled over the valley lifted and blew away. I don't wish it on anyone else, I don't know where it went to, but it's like a weight off my shoulders. From a distance it looked like a 100s feet thick wool blanket. I've had a headache and felt so tired for 3-4 days.

Yesterday I went up to the Monument. The air was so clear and it was so quiet. When I arrived at the parking area at 11am there were two other cars there, but I think they were employees. When I returned, there were a dozen cars there. But where were all the people? I saw no one on the trail and I saw no one walking around. Maybe there was a presentation or something? But I'm not complaining. I enjoyed the crisp air, the solitude, the blue sky, the quiet.

Tracks on the trail, but I saw no other people all day.


The smog still blankets the valley

No comments:

Post a Comment